Thursday, October 11, 2012

Long-term value portfolio updates

Just some quick updates on the long-term value model portfolio, which I have mentioned and have provided a detailed strategy a number of times. The portfolio continues to underperform the S&P 500, and was short of the S&P 500 by 160 basis points (1.6%) through yesterday's close. That said, the performance gap continues to close.

graph of fund vs. market indexes

I made a number of trades in the portfolio yesterday, predominantly pairing back positions where the stock had run considerably. I also sold Ceradyne (ticker CRDN) for a significant gain. If you remember, its was announced that CRDN would be purchases by MMM and CRDN's stock went from $24 and change to $35. I will take that all day long. Other positions where I paired back on include Stillwater Mining (ticker SWC), Ann Inc (ticker ANN), and Foster Wheeler (ticker FWLT). All were purchase back in July and had gains over 30%.

With those proceeds and other risk capital, I bought into a number of names that hit various screens and looked positive on my long-term technical timing tool. These stocks include Allegheny Technologies (ticker ATI), Opnet Technologies (ticker OPNT), Flir Systems (ticker FLIR), Central Securities (ticker CET), and Nortel Inversora (ticker NTL).

No comments:

Post a Comment